A Potted History of Poltimore House
1298 – Bampfylde family were given the land
1550 – Present mansion was started – aspects of this Tudor house are still evident
1646 – Negotiations for the Treaty of Exeter took place in the Great Hall (the present Saloon) which brought an end to the Civil War in the South West
17th Century – major remodelling of house including white and gold rococo styling in the Saloon with Palladian cornice and elaborate plasterwork
1831 – More reconstruction with the Imperial Staircase built in the Entrance Hall and the addition of the Porch.
1830-1840 Gardens and woodlands were mainly laid out by the Veitch family who introduced many exotic trees from China, North America and Chile
1920 – Estate put up for sale – 1923 House and greater part of estate had not been sold so it was leased to Poltimore College, a boarding school for girls
1940-1945 – Wartime refuge for the boys from Dover College
1945-1975 – Poltimore Hospital, including a state of the art terrazzo lined operating theatre which is still there
1987 – Fire in west wing of house (which contributed to the decline, neglect and vandalism in evidence today)
1993 – First of several major thefts which resulted in the loss of floorboards in several rooms, fireplaces and chimney pieces and mahogany doors of the Saloon
2003 – Finalist in the BBC Restoration programme
Present Day – Poltimore House Trust and Friends of Poltimore House working hard to stem the deterioration and bring the house and grounds back to life.